The New Engineering Facility
The New Engineering Facility will offer a central location along Cornerstone Plaza.
Innovative Features at Bay
A three-story tall High Bay will house an engineering strong wall and much needed laboratory space.
Inspired by Nature
The architectural features of the New Engineering Facility are inspired by Alaska's grand natural beauty.
Engineering from the Top
The New Engineering Facility will be nestled between the current Duckering and Bunnell Buildings.
The new building will facilitate collaborative, multidisciplinary learning and research.
Flexible and Spacious
Open laboratory plans with flex walls will allow for quick adjustments to accommodate a project's needs.
Multipurpose Working Spaces
The New Engineering Facility will promote teaching, learning and research side by side.
- Space between Bunnell and Duckering Building (currently parking lot)
- Square footage:
- Approximately 120,000 Gross Square Feet
- ECI Hyer/NBBJ
- Construction Management/General Contractor:
- Davis Constructors and Engineers
- Glass, Steel
- Number of stories:
- 4 (including basement) + 1 (unfinished)
- Added Facilities:
- 40 new laboratories, engineering strong wall, cold room
- Green Building Standards:
- LEED Silver
- Estimated costs:
- $108.6 Million
Construction Updates & Links
- March 30: Groundbreaking
- April 1: Start of Construction
- September 20: Steel Frame Completed
- January 1: New Building Shell Enclosed
- May: Duckering Construction Starts
- April: Construction of New Building Complete
- July: Construction of Duckering Complete
- July 3: Ribbon Cutting
- Fall Semester: Anticipated Opening
Construction Update: Duckering Parking Lot Closure
March 26, 2013
On Monday, April 1, 2013, Facilities Services will close
Tanana Loop along the Duckering building. The south access to the Duckering building from the parking
lot will be blocked off and taken out of service. Alternative drop-off and pick-up points are now the South Bunnell or the Signers
Check the UAF Facilities page for detailed construction information.
March 2, 2013
You are cordially invited to the New Engineering Facility
construction information Open House, Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 3:30pm-4:30pm at Schaible Auditorium.
February 14, 2013
Find out more about the new building addition in this article published in our latest CEM newsletter.