The New Engineering Facility
The New Engineering Facility will offer a central location along Cornerstone Plaza.
Innovative Features at Bay
A three-story tall High Bay will house an engineering strong wall and much needed laboratory space.
Inspired by Nature
The architectural features of the New Engineering Facility are inspired by Alaska's grand natural beauty.
Engineering from the Top
The New Engineering Facility will be nestled between the current Duckering and Bunnell Buildings.
The new building will facilitate collaborative, multidisciplinary learning and research.
Flexible and Spacious
Open laboratory plans with flex walls will allow for quick adjustments to accommodate a project's needs.
Multipurpose Working Spaces
The New Engineering Facility will promote teaching, learning and research side by side.
March 26, 2014
The start of spring also marks the continuation of construction activity on site of the New Engineering Facility.
A crane arrived and was erected at the job site today. Work resumes on steel erection and exterior enclosure.
Follow the construction progress on the live outdoor webcam on this page.
Duckering Building Loading Procedures
With Tanana Loop and the Duckering parking lot being closed due to the construction, UAF Facilities has issued new guidelines regarding
access to the Duckering building for loading and unloading. Please refer to the
Duckering Building Loading Procedures (PDF | 235KB)
for more detailed information.
Construction Site Live Outdoor Webcam
- Space between Bunnell and Duckering Building (former parking lot)
- Square footage:
- Approximately 120,000 Gross Square Feet
- ECI Hyer/NBBJ
- Construction Management/General Contractor:
- Davis Constructors and Engineers
- Glass, Steel
- Number of stories:
- 4 (including basement)+ 1 (unfinished)
- Added Facilities:
- 40 new laboratories, engineering strong wall, cold room
- Green Building Standards:
- LEED Silver
- Estimated costs:
- $108.6 Million
- March 30: Groundbreaking
- April 1: Start of Construction
- September 20: Steel Frame Completed
- January 1: New Building Shell Enclosed
- May: Duckering Construction Starts
- April: Construction of New Building Complete
- July: Construction of Duckering Complete
- July 3: Ribbon Cutting
- Fall Semester: Anticipated Opening