- Professor, Ph.D., P. E., S.E., Civil Engineering
- (907) 474-7816
- Duckering 243B
- 1976 Ph.D. Structural Engineering, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 1968-1971 Post Graduate, University of Illinois
- 1966 M. S. Civil Engineering, University of Missouri at Rolla
- 1965 B. S. Civil Engineering, Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy
- UAF, Chi-Epsilon Award for Excellence in Teaching, Rocky Mountain District, 1999-2000
- UMR, Outstanding Teaching Awards, 1972-73, 1973-74, and 1974-75
- NCSU, Outstanding Teaching Award, 1979
Working with Students
Dr. Hulsey focuses on working with students to achieve a high quality education. His research is in the fields of bridge engineering and effects of temperature extremes on structural systems like composite wall panels for buildings. His work blends a strong experimental component with the fundamentals of theory. Dr. Hulsey has expertise in mathematical modeling using state-of-art methods in finite element, finite difference and theoretical solid mechanics. Funding isavailable for graduate students to work on the analysis or testing of bridges.
- Major advisor 13 full-time MS students (9 thesis & 4 projects)
- Graduate committees 41 students (29 MS and 12 Ph.D.)
- Outside examiner 5 students (3 MS and 2 Ph.D.)
- Faculty Advisor - National Competition for Students
- ASCE Steel Bridge Team Faculty Advisor (Won National Championship 1993, 4th place in 1995, tied for 1st place in 1996). Obtained a provisional patent based on the 1998 bridge design. Faculty Advisor for the Civil Engineering Concrete Toboggan team; Canadian competition, best rookie team 1999 in the Great North American Toboggan race.
Dr. Hulsey has University and corporate experience. Before coming to the University, Dr. Hulsey owned and run three high-tech engineering-research corporations. He has extensive teaching and research experience. He taught at the University of Missouri Rolla, North Carolina State University and the University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF). While at UAF he has been an active researcher, served as Department Head and participated in numerous university committees.
- President of the Fairbanks Chapter of ASCE; TRB-A201, A2F04
- Professional Engineer: North Carolina, Alaska, Illinois (inactive), Missouri (Inactive)
- Structural Engineer: Illinois
- Chi Epsilon
- The Society of Sigma XI
- Who's Who in the Midwest
- Personalities of the West and Midwest
- Men of Achievement
- American Men and Women of Science
- Chi Gamma Iota Honorary Fraternity
- The Association of Tau Beta Pi
- Who's Who in the Southeast
- Community Leaders of America
- Dictionary of International Biography
- Governor appointed member of a task force to evaluate the Million Dollar Bridge (1995)
- Wearing Surfaces for Orthotropic Steel Bridge Decks, 1999, Hulsey, J. L., Yang, L., and Raad, L., Transportation Research Record, Paper 991049, National Research Council.
- Household Solid Waste and Disposal Site Selection, 1997, Koushki, P., Hulsey, J. L., and Bashaw, B. K., Journal of Urban Planning and Development, Vol. 123, No. 1, March, pp. 1-9.
- Analysis of State Department Safety Expenditures and Highway Safety, 1995, Koushki, P. A., Yesean, S., & Hulsey, J. l., Transportation Research Record, Paper 1485, National Research Council, pp. 148-154.
- Influence of Base Saturation on the Response of Rigid Pavements, 1995, Raad, L., Minassion, G. H., and Hulsey, J. l., Transportation Engineering Journal, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol 121, No. 6, Nov/Dec, pp. 495-506.
- On the Response Consistency of Questionnaire Surveys of State DOT Management, 1993, Hulsey, J. l., Koushki, P. a., Vaughn, C., Paper 930111, Transportation Record 1395, National Research Council, TRB, pp. 163-167.
- A Rational Weather Model for Highway Structures, Hulsey, J. l., and Powell, D. T., 1993, Paper 931097, Transportation Research Record 1393, National Research Council, TRB, pp. 54-64.
- Static Live Load Tests on a Cable Stayed Bridge, 1993, Hulsey, J. l., Delaney, D. K., Paper 930507, Transportation Research Record 1393, National Research Council, TRB, pp. 162-174.
- Cold Region Logistics Planning and Management, Hulsey, J. l., Koushki, P. a., 1993, Bennett, F. L., and Kelly, J., Journal of Cold Regions Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 7, No. 1, Paper No. 3405, Mar. pp. 1-11.
- Meridional Rib Stiffened Shells, Roy, D. k., Hulsey,J. l., and Zia, P., Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE, Vol. 107, No. EM1, proceedings paper 16037, Feb.. 1981, pp. 77-95.
- Temperature Distributions in Composite Bridges," Emanuel, J. H. and Hulsey, J. l., 1980, Closure to the paper by Emanuel and Hulsey, Journal of the Structural Division, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 106, No. ST5, Proceedings paper 15380, May, pp 1219-1220.
- Estimation of Air Temperature Extremes," Emanuel, J. h. and Hulsey, J. l., 1979, ASHRAE Transactions, 1978, Vol. 84, Pt. 2, Paper 2509.
- Environmental Stresses in Flexibly Supported Bridges,", 1978, Hulsey, J. l. and Emanuel, J. h., Transportation Research Record 664, Transportation Research Board, Vol. 1, pp. 262-270.
- Temperature Distributions in Composite Bridges", 1978, Emanuel, J. h. and Hulsey, J. l., Journal of the Structural Division, ASCE, Vol. 104, No. ST1, Proceedings paper 13474, Jan., pp. 65-78.
- Thermal Stresses and Deformations in Nonprismatic Indeterminate Composite Bridges," 1976, Emanuel, J. h., and Hulsey, J. l., Transportation Research Record 607, Transportation Research Board, National Academy of Sciences.
- Prediction of the Thermal Coefficient of Expansion of Concrete, 1977, Emanuel, J. h. and Hulsey, J. l., Journal of the American Concrete Institute, Proceedings, Vol. 74, No. 4, Apr., pp. 149-155.
Refereed Conference Papers
- Bulb Tee Bridges: Alaska Weather and Thermal Stresses, 2002, Hulsey, J. l., and Ma,J. , accepted for publication, ASCE Proceedings, 11th International Conference on Cold Region Engineering, May 20-22.
- Deck Wearing Surfaces for the Yukon River Bridge, 2002, Hulsey, J. l., Raad, L., and Conner, B. , accepted for publication, ASCE Proceedings, 11th International Conference on Cold Region Engineering, May.
- Buried Utilities for Alaska: Dewater or Winter Work?, 2002, Hulsey, J. l., Raad, N., Saboundjan, S., and Brand, R., accepted for publication, ASCE Proceedings, 11th International Conference on Cold Region Engineering, May.
- Longitudinal Slab Stresses on One--Way Slabs on Flexible Supports, 1993, Hulsey, J. l., and Chen, Z., International Conference on Concrete & Structures - Hong Kong, Mar. 16-17, Hong Kong, pp. 71-77.
- Logistic System Planning for Arctic Mining, 1992, Frouz, A. A., Koushki, P. a., and Hulsey, J. l., Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Mining in the Arctic /Fairbanks/Alaska/, July 19-22, pp. 145-151.
- Mechanistic Evaluation of Saturated Granular Bases in Concrete Pavements, 1992, Raad, L., Minassion, G. h., and Hulsey, J. l., American Concrete Institute, Spring Convention, ACI Committee on Concrete Pavements, Washington, DC, Mar. 17.
- A Logistic Planning Model Framework for Remote Polar Operations, 1991, P. a., Hulsey, J. l., Bennett, F. l., and Kelley, J., IDEEA ONE, Final Conference Proceedings Report, The First International Design for Extreme Environments Assembly, University of Houston, Texas, Nov. 12-15, pp. 815-819.
- Composite Bridges on Flexible Supports in Cold Regions, 1990, Hulsey, J. l. and Powell, D. t., Proceedings, Second Workshop on Bridge Engineering Research in Progress , University of Nevada Reno, Reno, Nevada, Oct. 29-30, pp. 229-232.
- Instrumentation of a Cable Stayed Bridge at Skagway, Alaska, 1990, Hulsey, J. l., Delaney, D. k., Bunch, R. F., and Briggs, R. W., Proceedings, Eighth Structures Congress, ASCE, Baltimore, Md., April 30 - May 3.
- Analysis of Hyperbolical Shells Using Galerkin FEM, 1981, Roy, D. k. and Hulsey, J. l., T heoretical and Computational Consideration in the Analysis of Large Thin Shell Structures, Committee on Elasticity, EMD, ASCE Annual Convention, St. Louis, Mo., Oct.
- Analysis of Ribbed Hyperbolic Cooling Tower, 1980, Roy, D. k., Hulsey, J. l., and Zia, P., Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, Annual Conference, Structural Section, May, pp. 26:1-26:10.
- Segmentally Constructed Cooling Tower, 1979, Zia, P., Tung, C. C., Hulsey, J. l., and Mostafa, T., ACI Committee 115, American Concrete Institute, Washington, D.C., Oct.
- Estimation of Air Temperature Extremes, 1978, Emanuel, J. h. and Hulsey, J. l., ASHRAE Transactions, 1978, Vol. 84, Part II, Paper No. 2509, presented at the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers Meeting, Albuquerque, New Mexico, July.
- Environmentally Induced Bridge Stresses, 1977, Hulsey, J. l. and Emanuel, J. h., Summary paper, Second Annual ASCE Engineering Mechanics Division Specialty Conference, North Carolina State University, May.
- Finite Element Modeling of Climatically Induced Heat Flow, 1977, Hulsey, J. l. and Emanuel, J. h., IMACS Int. Symposium on Simulation Software and Numerical Methods for Differential Equations, VPI & SU, Blacksburg, Va., Mar. 9-11.
- Thermal Stresses and Deformations in Nonprismatic Indeterminate Composite Bridges, 1976, Emanuel, J. h., and Hulsey, J. l., paper presented to TRB Committee AC201-General Structures, Transportation Research Board 55th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., Jan.
- Software for Structural Analysis, 1986, Hulsey, J. l., Structures '86, Session No. 64, Learning About Structural Analysis Using the Computer, ASCE, Sept.
- ?Prediction of Beam Deflection in a Vibrated Slurry Wall Installation, 1983, Hulsey, J. l., ASCE Fall Meeting, Charlotte, N. C., Sept.
- Software and Computers for Structural Engineers, 1982, J. l. Hulsey, AISC Structural Steel Building Design Seminar, Charlotte, N. c. and Richmond Va., Oct.
- Experimental Investigations of Steel Frame Utility Buildings, 1982, J. l. Hulsey, ASCE Fall Meeting, Greensboro, N. c., Sept.
- Use of Computers in Civil Engineering Practice," 1981, J. l. Hulsey, ASCE Fall Meeting, Raleigh, N. c., Sept.
- Instrumentation of a Cable Stayed Bridge at Skagway, Alaska, 1990, l., Delaney, D. k., Bunch, R. f., and Briggs, w., Structures Congress Abstracts, Eighth Congress, ASCE, Baltimore, Md., April 30 - May 3, pp. 90-91.
- Fairbanks Alaska Temperature Extremes for Life Cycle Design, 1989, Powell, t., 40th Arctic Science Conference, Global Change, University Fairbanks, 14-16, 30.
- Professional Engineering Review Course, Civil Structural Analysis Hulsey E. Farzam, North Carolina State University, Carolina, 1983, 1986.
- Permafrost Database Spring 1996 Data, Final Report, No. INE/TRC/RP-97.07, Department Transportation & Public Facilities, Institute Northern Engineering, December 1997. 1995,/RP-97.08, Yukon River Deck Strains Surfacing Alternatives , Yang, Curtis, Raad,/RP-94.10, September 1995.
- Bethel Highway Thermosyphon Tests, Report 94.14, Dept. Feb.. 1994.
- Standard Response Spectra Based on Earthquakes, Succarieh, M. F. Sow, B., Paramatsu,/RP-94.11, Dec., 1994,/RP-95.05, 1993,/RP-94.09, Research Center, [991-1992],/RP-93.03, July 1993. Lengths: Jointless Prestressed Girder Bridges, 1992,/QRP-92.04, One-Way Concrete Slabs: Uniform Concentrated Loads Chen, Z., May.
- Revisiting Management Information Systems Allocation Funds Activities/ Projects/ Maintenance, TNW 92-05, Northwest (TRANSNOW), Washington, Mar. Cable-Stayed Geometric Nonlinear Analysis, k. Dec.
- The No Expansion Joint Regions, 90-08, Static Linear Captain William Cooper Moore Bridge, FHWA AK-90-08A, Facilities. Tests An Experimental Study AK-RD-90-08, Transportation.
- Bibliography Sensors Instrumentation, Emanuel, h., Best, Senne, Thompson, E., 73-1, Series, Missouri-Rolla, 1973.
- Current Design Practice Superstructures Connected to Flexible Substructures, 1973, 73-3, Missouri-Rolla.
- Investigation Criteria Stresses Induced by Semi-Integral End Bents: Phase 1 Feasibility Study, Missouri Cooperative Program 72-9
- Lectures Inspection Training Short Juneau, Alaska. Taught from 10-15
- EIT computers (3 hour sessions), evenings 1987 present. dynamics were presented in 1987, 1988.
- ITRE-Highway Concepts two-part 133 lecture hours, technicians. Responsible 49 hours Part covering basic subjects 14 Geotechnical 2, 1985
- ITRE-PE course with 85 hours. 28 Structures, Summer 1985. Education (ITRE), ITRE-EIT 77 covers 17 different subjects... such as Mathematics, Chemistry, Mechanics, etc.
- Co-Instructor Fracture Critical Members. prepared Byrd Tallamy, MacDonald Lewis U.S. Transportation, FHWA. pilot courses Virginia Minnesota (2 day course), 1986, total 1988 course).
- Rehabilitation Existing Bridges Workshop. Preparation same above. Kentucky, Missouri, Dakota, Instructor 1987. Maintenance Supervisors. New Jersey, Ohio, 1986 Byrd, Arkansas, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Florida, Virginia, Iowa, Alabama, Minnesota, South (1-week 1985 (Course Director), 1979, 1980, 1983.
- Building Inspectors c. Insurance, 1982, 1984. Engineers 1979
- Finite Element Methods Modeling Ground water, Rolla, Mo., 1976-1977. 1976.
Presentations (after 1993)
- 1999, Alternative Decking American Society Engineers, Bartlett Inn, June.
- 1997, Orthotropic Steel Committee A2F04, Board DC, Jan. 1996, UAF Competition, 18. Available Regional Acceleration Records Their Corresponding Spectra, Seismic Zonation Anchorage, 6-7. Moderator, Forum, AK, May, Cold Weather Impacts A2LO4 Frost Action Committee, D.C., 10