- 2011 Ph.D., Civil (Environmental) Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2009 M.S, Civil (Environmental) Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2007 B.Tech., Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India
Dr. Aggarwal’s general research interests are in the area of environmental biotechnology, efficient water/wastewater treatment and biofilm processes in environmental systems. Biofilms are microbial communities immobilized on moist surfaces, and represent the bulk (>99%) of microbial population in natural ecosystems as well as in engineered systems (e.g., drinking water distribution system). His prior research has been specifically related to biofilm mechanics and biofilm processes in the context of drinking water/wastewater treatment systems. Dr. Aggarwal also has experience in computational modeling of atmospheric nanoparticle pollution (termed ultra-fine particulate [UFPs]).
- 11/2013- Present: Assistant Professor, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2/2012-11/2013: Research Associate, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 2/2011-1/2012: Postdoctoral Associate, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 8/2007-1/2011: Graduate Research Assistant, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
- 5/2006-7/2006: Summer Intern, Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi, India
- CE 341 Introduction to Environmental Engineering (Spring 2014)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Aggarwal S, Schnabel WE, Buist I, Garron J, Bullock RJ, Perkins RA, Potter S, Cooper D. 2017. "Aerial Application of Herding Agents to Advance In-Situ Burning for Oil Spill Response in the Arctic". Cold Regions Science and Technology 135 (2017) 97–104. DOI: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2016.12.010
- Bullock RJ, Aggarwal S, Perkins RA, Schnabel WE. 2017."Scale-Up Considerations for Herder Assisted In-situ Burn Crude Oil Spill Response Experiments in the Arctic: Laboratory to Field-Scale Investigations". Journal of Environmental Management 190 (2017) 266-273. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.12.044
- Jeon Y, Aggarwal S, Hozalski RM. 2016. Effect of Sodium Triphosphate, EDTA, Urea and Citrate on Disruption of Single-Species and Multi-Species Biofilms. Submitted.
- Aggarwal S, Stewart PS, Hozalski RM. 2016.“Biofilm Cohesive Strength as a Basis for Biofilm Recalcitrance: Are Bacterial Biofilms Overdesigned ?". Microbiology Insights, 8(S2): pp 29-32. DOI: 10.4137/MBI.S31444
- Aggarwal S, Jeon Y, Hozalski RM. 2015.“Feasibility of Using Particle Counting Technologies for Assimilable Organic Carbon (AOC) analysis in drinking water”. Biodegradation, 26(5): pp 387-397. DOI: 10.1007/s10532-015-9741-6
- Aggarwal S, Hozalski RM. 2012. “Effect of Strain Rate on Mechanical Properties of S. epidermidis Bacterial Biofilms”. Langmuir, 28 (5):pages 2812–2816.
- Aggarwal S, Jain R, Marshall JD. 2012. “Real Time Prediction of Size Resolved Ultrafine PM on Freeways”. Environmental Science and Technology, 46(4): pages 2234−2241.
- Aggarwal S, Poppele EH, Hozalski RM. 2010. “Development and Testing of a Novel Micro-cantilever Technique for Measuring the Cohesive Strength of Intact Biofilms”. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 105(5): pages 924–934.
- Aggarwal S, Hozalski RM. 2010. “Determination of Biofilm Mechanical Properties from Tensile Tests Performed Using a Micro-Cantilever Method”. Biofouling: Journal of Bioadhesion and Biofilm Research. 26 (4): pages 479 – 486.
- Aggarwal S Investigating Approaches to Mitigate Biofilms in Drinking Water Distribution Systems. Invited Talk. Annual AWWA Conference, MN Chapter, Duluth, MN. September 19-21, 2012.
- Aggarwal S, Jain R, Marshall JD. Real Time Prediction of Size Resolved Ultrafine PM on Freeways. Poster presentation at the Conference on the Environment, Minneapolis, MN, November 9, 2010.
- Aggarwal S, Jain R, Marshall JD. Real time, size-resolved prediction of ultrafine and accumulation mode particle concentrations on freeways. 2010. Oral presentation at the Joint Conference of International Society of Exposure Science (ISES) & International Society for Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE), Seoul, Korea, August 28- September 1, 2010.
- Aggarwal S, Jain R, Marshall JD 2012. Real Time, Size-resolved Prediction of Ultrafine and Accumulation-mode Particle Concentrations on Freeways. Epidemiology 22.1: S146.[Conference Abstract]
- Aggarwal S and Hozalski RM. 2010. Mechanical Properties of Bacterial Biofilms: A Biophysical Perspective. Environmental Engineering Seminar Series, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. April 26, 2010.
- Stewart PS, Brindle E, Aggarwal S, Hozalski RM, Miller D. Altering Biofilm Cohesion as a Control Strategy. Oral presentation at the 5th ASM Conference on Biofilms, Cancun, Mexico. November 15- 19, 2009.
- Aggarwal S and Hozalski RM. 2009. Cohesive strength of Bacterial Biofilms. Poster presentation at the Conference on the Environment, Minneapolis, MN, November 12, 2009.
- Aggarwal S and Hozalski RM. Effect of Strain-rate and Calcium on the Cohesive Strength of S.epidermidis Biofilms. Oral presentation at the 13th IACIS International Conference on Surface and Colloid Science and the 83rd ACS Colloid & Surface Science Symposium, New York, NY. June 14- 19, 2009.