- Day length: There are about 16 hours of possible sunlight in early August. Remember – just because it is not dark out doesn't mean that it is not time to get some sleep.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes will probably be in good supply in early August, though not bad on campus. Elsewhere in Fairbanks, you may want to carry mosquito repellant with you. Wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants is recommended.
- Aridity: Fairbanks, Alaska, is very dry. Make sure you drink plenty of water.
- Temperature: Fairbanks summers are great and unpredictable. The temperature regularly fluctuates by at least 20 degrees Farenheit from morning to the warmest part of the day. On August 2nd, 2014 the low was 57 deg. F and the high was 69 deg. F. We suggest bring layered clothing for the field trips and for exploring Fairbanks.
Things to do in Fairbanks and the surrounding area
Activities on campus:
- Georgeson Botanical Garden – Numerous varieties of flowers and vegetables cultivated for Alaska's climate. Open for viewing daily
- Robert G. White Large Animal Research Station – View muskox, caribou, and reindeer. Tours daily
- University of Alaska Museum of the North – Discover fascinating stories about Alaska’s people, places, and wildlife
Activities around town:
- Chena Hot Springs Resort – Soak in the hot springs and visit the ice museum
- Fairbanks Golf and Country Club – Play a game of golf under the midnight sun
- Gold Dredge No. 8 – Visit a gold dredge and pan for gold
- Pioneer Park – Visit this historic park for Fairbanks history, train rides, miniature golf, picnic grounds, and many gift shops housed in historic log cabins
- Riverboat Discovery – Enjoy a boat cruise on the Chena and Tanana Rivers, including a guided walking tour of an Alaskan Indian Village
- Trans-Alaska Pipeline – Information and viewing, on the Steese Highway
Art galleries and shops:
- Fairbanks Arts Association - in the Pioneer Park Civic Center
- New Horizons Gallery – 519 1st Avenue; 456-2063
- Alaska House – 1003 Cushman Street. 456-6449
- Knotty Shop – Wood crafts, burl carving and 30-foot totem pole
- Santa Claus House – North Pole
Shopping near campus:
- Beaver Sports – Sporting goods, clothing (3480 College Road) 479-2494
- Date Line Copies – Copying, office supplies (3677 College Road) 479-3831
- Fred Meyer – Groceries, housewares, clothing (3755 Airport Way) 474-1400
- Gulliver's Books – Books, gifts (3525 College Road) 474-9574
- Safeway – Groceries (3627 Airport Way) 374-4000
For more information on places to go and things to do, visit: http://www.explorefairbanks.com/