- Professor, Ph. D., Mechanical Engineering
- (907) 474-7265
- Duckering 351A
Dr. Cheng-fu Chen is a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK. Prior to joining UAF in November 2002, he has been a Research Associate on calculating the photomasks distortions under thermomechanical loading at UW-Madison since 2000. He received Air Force Summer Faculty Fellow in 2009, and was a visiting scholar to the Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI), Hsinchu, Taiwan, in 2013. He has more than 40 publications in various journals and conference proceedings.
His research interests span the fields of biomaterials, microfluidics, and thermomechanical aspects of electronic packaging. His research in microfluidics resulted in a few publications about droplet-based microfluidics and new micro-fabrication techniques. His work on the equivalent modeling of thermomechanical properties of through-silicon-via interposers has been recognized by ITRI for facilitating commercialization of a software package for designing 3DIC integration. His research in biomaterials is primarily on the characterization of biodegradable magnesium alloys (e.g., Mg AZ31) and their use as an implantation material. More information about his research is frequently updated on his google site, as well as on google scholar.
His teaching covers a wide span of classes in engineering, at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. In his interests, he likes to teach solid mechanics related and system dynamics related classes, such as ES 331 Mechanics of Materials, ME 408 Vibrations, ME 409 Controls, and ME 631 Advanced Mechanics of Materials. He also developed a stack course Introduction to Microfluidics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, 2000.
- National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
M. S., Mechanical Engineering, 1990.
B. S., Mechanical Engineering, 1988.
- Chen C-f., Rasley, BT, Warlick BPE, Green TK, Swearingen KE, Drew KL, "Microdialysis and advances for sampling synaptic and extrasynaptic pools," in Microdialysis Techniques in Neuroscience, Neuromethods. vol. 75., GD Giovanni and VD Matteo (Eds.), Springer, pp. 63-88, 2013.
- C.-f. Chen and J. Lee, “Heterogeneous-medium transport and propagation,” in Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, H.S. Nalwa, Ed., American Scientific Publishers, vol 15, pp. 113-145, 2011.
Refereed Journal Papers (students names underlined)
- C.-f. Chen and S.-T. Wu, “Equivalent Mechanical Properties of Through Silicon Via Interposers - A Unit Model Approach,” Microelectronics Reliability, in press, DOI:10.1016/j.microrel. 2014.09.005, 2014.
- J. Zhang, L. Zhang C.-f. Chen, Y. Gu, “Advances in Microarc Oxidation Coated AZ31 Mg Alloys for Biomedical Applications”, Corrosion Science, in review, 2014.
- C.-f. Chen, "Scaling Law of Miniaturized Quantitative Microdialysis," J. Chromatogr. A., in review, 2013.
- C.-f. Chen and C. Bender, “Characterization of Air Plasma-Assisted Poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS)-PDMS Bonding Strength,” Journal of Engineering, in review, 2013.
- C.-f. Chen and T. L. Gerlach, "Rapid prototyping of microfluidic modules with water-developable dry-film photoresist bondable to PDMS," RSC Advances, 2013, 3 (33), 14066 - 14072, D01:10.1039/C3RA41576G.
- C.-f. Chen, “Batch Process and Sensitivity Analysis of Collision Detection of Planar Convex Polygons in Motion,” ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, Vol. 13(4), 041001 (8 pp), 2013.
- Gu,Y., Bandopadhyay, S., Chen, C.-f., Guo, Y., Ning, C., "Long-term corrosion inhibition mechanism of microarc oxidation coated AZ31 Mg alloys for biomedical applications,” Materials and Design, Vol. 46, pp. 66-75, 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2012.09.056
- L. Chen, J.H. Lee, and C.-f. Chen, “On the modeling of surface tension and its applications by the Generalized Interpolation Material Point Method,” CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, Vol. 86, No. 3, pp. 199-224, 2012. doi:10.3970/cmes.2012.086.199
- Gu,Y., Bandopadhyay, S., Chen, C.-f., Guo, Y., Ning, C., “Effect of oxidation time on the corrosion behavior of micro-arc oxidation produced AZ31 magnesium alloys in simulated body fluid,” J. Alloys and Compounds, 543, 109-117, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.jallcom.2012.07.130
- Y. Gu, C.-f. Chen, S. Bandopadhyay, C. Ning, and Y. Guo, “Corrosion mechanism and model of pulsed DC microarc oxidation treated AZ31 alloy in simulated body fluid,” Applied Surface Science, 258(16), pp. 6116-6126, 2012. DOI 10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.03.016
- Y. Gu, C.-f. Chen, S. Bandopadhyay, C. Ning, and Y. Guo, “Residual stress in pulsed DC microarc oxidation treated AZ31 alloy,” Surface Engineering, Vol. 21, pp. 1085-1090, 2012. doi: 10.1007/s11665-011-9980-6
- G. Sheng, C.-f. Chen, and, T. Wilburn “A Study of Non-operational Dynamic Responses of Disk in 3.5 in. Hard Disk Drive to Impact Load,” J. of Microsystem Technologies, Vol. 18, No 9-10, pp. 1261-1266, 2012. doi:10.1007/s00542-012-1517-x.
- C.-f. Chenand D. Peterson, “Stress buildup of Sn3.5Ag soldered stacked CSPs to board-level drop impact,“ IEEE Trans. Components Packaging and Manufacturing Technologies, 1(3), pp. 344-351, 2011. DOI 10.1109/TCPMT.2010.2100290.
- C.-f. Chen and P. C. Karulkar, “Dependence of flip chip solder reliability on filler settling,” IEEE Trans. Advanced Packaging, 32, 3, pp.1-9, 2009. DOI 10.1109/TADVP.2008.2009357
- C.-f. Chen and K. L. Drew, “Droplet-based microdialysis –concept, theory, and design consideration,” J. Chromatogr. A., 1209:1-2, pp. 29-36, 2008. DOI: 10.1016/j.chroma.2008.09.006.
- C.-f. Chen, “Effect of underfill filler settling on thermomechanical fatigue analysis of flip-chip eutectic solders,” Microelectronics Reliability, 48, pp. 1040-1051, 2008. DOI:10.1016/j.microrel.2008.03.022.
- C.-f. Chen and P. C. Karulkar, “Underfill filler settling effect on the die backside interfacial stresses of flip chip packages,” ASME J. Electron. Packag., 130 (3), pp. 031005-1-10, 2008.
- S. Guruzu, M. Kulkarni, S. Ingole, G. Xu, C.-f. Chen, H. Liang, “Friction induced crystalline phase on Si,” Wear, Vol. 259, pp. 524-528, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.wear.2005.01.016
- A. Wei, G. Nellis, A. Abdo, R. Engelstad, C.-f. Chen, M. Switkes, and M. Rotheschild, “Microfluidic Simulations for Immersion Lithography,” J. Microlithogr. Microfabrication, Microsyst., Vol.3, pp. 28-34, 2004. DOI:10.1117/1.1632500.
- P. Reu, C.-f. Chen, R. Engelstad, E. Lovell, M. Lercel, O. Wood, and S. Mackay, “Predicting overlay performance for electron-projection lithography mask,” J. Microlithogr. Microfabrication, Microsyst., Vol. 2, pp.148-156, 2003. DOI:10.1117/1.1563646.
- C-.f. Chen, R. Engelstad, E. Lovell, D. White, O. Wood, M. Smith, and L. Harriott, “Adaptive alignment of photomasks for overlay improvement,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, Vol. 20, pp. 3099-3105, 2002. DOI: 10.1116/1.1515312.
- P. Reu, C.-f. Chen, R. Engelstad, E. Lovell, T. Bayer, J. Greschner, S. Kalt, H. Weiss, O. Wood, and R. Mackay, “Electron projection lithography mask format layer stress measurement and simulation of pattern transfer distortion,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, Vol. 20, pp. 3053-3057, 2002. DOI: 10.1116/1.1521732
- C.-f. Chen, R. Engelstad, E. Lovell, and A. Novembre, “Simulating the response of electron-beam projection lithography masks under standardized mounting techniques,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, Vol. 19, pp 2646-2651, 2001. DOI: 10.1116/1.1409386
- A. Jachim, C.-f. Chen, R. Engelstad, and E. Lovell, “Simulating the mechanical response of electron-beam projection lithography masks,” Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 18, pp 3248-3253, 2000. DOI: 10.1116/1.1313574