- Professor, Ph.D., P.E., Mining Engineering
- (907) 474-6875
- Duckering 315
Background and Research Interest
Professor Gang Chen's current research interests include Rock mechanics in mining and civil construction, Mine ground control, Rock blasting, Frozen ground engineering, and GIS application in mining
- MIN 101 - Minerals, Man and the Environment
- MIN 103 - Introduction to Mining Engineering
- MIN 104 - Mining Safety and Operations Lab
- MIN 202 - Mine Surveying
- MIN 301 - Mine Plant Design
- MIN 370 - Rock Mechanics
- MIN 443 - Principles and Application of Industrial Explosives
- MIN 673 - Advanced Rock Mechanics
- MIN 674 - Advance Ground Control
- ES 201 - Computer Techniques
- ES 208 - Mechanics
- ES 209 - Statics
- ES 210 - Dynamics
- ES 331 - Mechanics of Materials
- GE 697 - Geotechnical Instrumentation
- Ph.D. in Mining Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1989
- M.S. in Mining Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, 1984
- Diploma in Mining Engineering, Shandong Mining Institute, 1977
- GIS Applications to Alaskan Near-shore Marine Mineral Resources, Funded by DOI/MMS
- Assessment of Oilfield Subsidence in North Slope of Alaska Using InSAR", Funded by Alaska EPSCoR
- Characteristics of Gas Dissemination in Frozen Ground, Funded by Alaska EPSCoR
- Effect of Drilling Mud on Rock Pore Pressure and Wellbore Stability, Funded by BP and ARCO
- Analysis of the Ground Vibrations Caused by Production Blasts, Funded by Fairbanks Gold Mining, Inc.
- Applications of Chemical Consolidation for Wellbore Stabilization in Fractured and Unstable Formation, Funded by BP and ARCO
- Analysis of the Effects of Rock Discontinuities on Bench Blasting in Arctic and Subarctic Open Pit Mines, Funded by Fairbanks Gold Mining, Inc.
Chen, L. B., G. Sheng and G. Chen, "Investigation of impact dynamics of roof bolting with passive friction control", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, July, 2014.
Zhang, X., L. Li, G. Chen, and R. Lytton, "A photogrammetry-based method to measure total and local volume changes of unsaturated soils during triaxial testing", Acta Geotechnica, August, 2014
Yoon, S., H. K. Lin, G. Chen, and G. Hwang, "The investigation of arsenic and heavy metal concentrations in soil, water and crops around abandoned metal mines", International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 2, pg. 117-137, 2014.
Luo, D., G. Chen, S. Patil, A. Dandekar and S. Khataniar, "Simulation and Analysis of Wellbore Stability Using FLAC for Horizontal Well Drilling in Shale Formations", Proceedings of the 48st U S Rock Mechanics Symposium, Minneapolis, MN, June 2014
- Chen, G., "Probabilistic Key Block Analysis of a Mine Ventilation Shaft Stability – A Case Study", Geomechanics & Geoengineering: An International Journal, Vol 7, Issue 4, 2012.
- Obermiller, K., M. Darrow, S. Huang and G. Chen, "Site Investigation and Slope Stability Analysis of the Chitina Dump Slide (CDS), Alaska", Environmental and Engineering Geoscience, 2012.
- Chen, G., "Probabilistic Approach for the Analysis of Rock Excavation Stability", Proceedings, the 4th International Conference on New Development in Rock Mechanics and Engineering, Shenyang, China, Sept. 2012.
- Chen, G., "The Influence of Drilling Direction on RQD Values of Rock Mass with MultipleSets of Discontinuities and RQD Data Acquisition for In-depth Analysis", Proceedings, of the 46st U S Rock Mechanics Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, June 2012.
- Chen, L., G. Chen, and G. Sheng, "Numerical Modeling of Rock Bolts Subject to Dynamic Loading", Proceedings, of the 46st U S Rock Mechanics Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, June 2012.
- Zhou, W., G. Chen, H. Li, H. Luo and S. L. Huang, "GIS Application in Mineral Resource Analysis - A Case Study of Offshore Marine Placer Gold at Nome, Alaska", Computers and Geosciences, Vol. 33, 2007, pg. 773-788.
- Chen, G., et al, Editors, Proceedings, 40th U.S. Rock Mechanics Symposium, 2005.
- Li, H., H. Luo, G. Chen, W. Zhou and S. Huang, "Visualized Geostatistical Analysis of Nome Offshore Gold Placer Deposit Using ArcGIS - A Case Study", Transactions of Society of Mining Engineers, Vol. 318, 2005.
- Sun, C. and G. Chen, "Time-dependent Analysis of Underground Opening Stability", World Journal of Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2004, pg. 50-60.
- Chen, G. and S. Huang, "Analysis of Ground Vibrations Caused by Open Pit Production Blasts - A Case Study", FRAGBLAST - The International Journal for Blasting and Fragmentation, Vol. 5, No. 1-2, 2001, pg. 91-107.
- Chen, G. and C. Sun, "Numerical Simulation of Yield Pillar Behavior with Creep Material Model", Transactions of Society of Mining Engineers, Vol. 308, 2000, pp. 65-68.
- Chen, G., J. Ke, Z. Jia, and W. Wang, "Probabilistic Analysis of Rock Slope Stability with First-Order Approximation", International Journal of Surface Mining and Reclamation, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1998, pg.11-17.
- Chen, G. and Y. P. Chugh, "Estimation of In-situ Viscoelastic Parameters of Weak Floor Strata by Plate Loading Tests", Journal of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Vol. 14, 1996, pp. 151-167.
- Chen, G., H. Li, "Analysis of Block Removability in Rock Excavation by Probabilistic Approach", Proceedings of the 1st Canada-US Rock Mechanics Symposium, Vancouver, Canada, May 27-31, 2007.
- Li, H., G. Chen and W. Zhou, "Measurements of Plutonic Rock Elastic Properties Utilizing Ultrasonic Waves", Proceedings of the 41st U S Rock Mechanics Symposium, Golden, Colorado, June 17-21, 2006.
- Zhou, W., Chen, G., Li, S. and Ke. J., "InSAR Application in Detection of Oilfield Subsidence on Alaska North Slope", Proceedings of the 41st U S Rock Mechanics Symposium, Golden, Colorado, June 17-21, 2006.
Awards and Honors
- International award for innovation in unsaturated soil mechanics, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, (X. Zhang, L. Lin, G. Chen and R. Lytton), 2016
- Underground Mining Unit Chair Award, SME, 1999.
- Outstanding Faculty of the Year, UAF School of Mineral Eng., 1995-1999, 2001-2003
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Dept.of Mining & Minerals Eng., Va Tech, 1988
- Member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Member of the Alpha Pi Mu Honor Society