- Professor, Ph.D., P.E., Mining Engineering
- (907) 474-7212
- Duckering 319
Background and Research Interest
Professor Ganguli's research interests span a variety of topics from operations research to coal combustion. His past work includes development of control algorithms for coal loading, SAG mill process control, mine production simulation, 3D mine design and combustion of low rank Alaska coal. He has also helped design (ground control aspects) a multi-seam underground coal mine. He is a Professional Engineer (Mining Engineering) in the State of Alaska. He is also a qualified underground coal mine foreman in the State of Alabama. Please visit his personal website (link below) to learn about his research.
- Professor Ganguli's Personal Website
- MIN 313 - Introduction to Mineral Preparation
- MIN 454 - Underground Mining Design
- MIN 481 - Computer-Aided Mine Design I
- MIN 482/682 - Computer Aided Mine Design-II
- MIN 484 - Surface Mining Methods
- MIN 490 - Mining Design Project
- MIN 601 - Application of Artificial Neural Networks
- ES 201 - Computer Techniques
- Ph.D. in Mining Engineering, University of Kentucky, 1999
- M. S. in Mining Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1995
- B. E. in Mining Engineering, Osmania University, India, 1991
- "Coal to Liquids Plant", ACEP project funded by US Air Force
- Low Rank Coal Grinding Performance vs. Power Plant Performance, Funded by DOE
- Resource Characterization and Quantification of Natural Gas Hydrate and Associated Free-Gas Accumulations in the Prudhoe Bay-Kuparuk River Area on the North Slope of Alaska, Funded by DOE
- Platinum Resource Estimation off of Goodnews Bay, Alaska, Funded by DOI/MMS
- Estimation of Gravel Resource Potential of Southeast Chukchi Sea Continental Shelf off Shismaref, North Seward Peninsula, Alaska, Funded by DOI/MMS
- Enhancement of Submarine Tailings Disposal Expert System Knowledge base, Funded by DOI/MMS
- Effect of Measurement Errors on Control Algorithm, Funded by UAF
- Sophisticated Calibration Methods for On-line Analyzers, Funded by DOE, Usibelli Coal Mine & GVEA
- Sahoo, B. C., Vajjha, R.S., Ganguli, R., Chukwu, G. and Das, D.K., 2008, Determination of Rheological Behavior of Aluminum Oxide Nanofluid and Development of New Viscosity Correlations, Accepted, Petroleum Science and Technology.
- Ganguli, R., and Bandopadhyay, S., 2008 Field Scale Investigation of Pulverized Coal Mill Power Consumption, Minerals and Metallurgical Processing, SME Publication, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp 139-142.
- Malav, D., Ganguli, R., Dutta, S. and Bandopadhyay, S., 2008 Non-impact of Particle Size Distribution on Power Generation at a Pulverized Coal Power Plant Burning Low Rank Alaska Coal, Journal of Fuel Processing Technology, Vol 89, No. 5, 499-502.
- Chatterjee, S., Bandopadhyay, S., Ganguli, R., Bhattacharjee, A. and Samanta, B., 2007, General Regression Neural Network Residual Estimation for Ore Grade Prediction of Limestone Deposit, Mining Technology, Volume 116, No 3, pp. 89-99.
- Dutta, S., Misra, D., Ganguli, R., Bandopadhyay, S., 2006, A Hybrid Ensemble Model of Kriging and Neural Network for Ore Grade Estimation, International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Volume 20, Issue 1, pp. 33-45.
- Samanta, B., Bandopadhyay, S., Ganguli, R., 2006, Comparative Evaluation of Neural Network Learning Algorithms for Ore Grade Estimation, Mathematical Geology, Vol. 38, 2.
- Dutta, S., Ganguli, R., Samanta, B., 2005, Investigation of two Neural Network Methods in an Automatic Mapping Exercise, Applied GIS, Vol 1, No 2.
- Samanta, B., Bandopadhyay, S. and Ganguli, R., Dutta, S., 2005, A comparative study of the performance of single neural network vs. adaboost algorithm based combination of multiple neural networks for mineral resource estimation, Journal of South African Inst. Min. Metal Vol. 105, pp. 237-246
- Samanta, B.,Ganguli, R., Bandopadhyay, S., 2005, Comparing the predictive performance of neural networks with ordinary kriging in a bauxite deposit, Transactions of Inst. Min. Metall., (Mining Technology) Vol 114, pp. 129-139.
- Samanta, B., Bandopadhyay, S. and Ganguli, R., 2004, Sparse Data Division Using Data Segmentation and Kohonen Network for Neural Network and Geostatistical Ore Grade Modeling in Nome Offshore Placer Deposit Natural Resources Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 189-200.
- Yu, S., Ganguli, R., Walsh, D.E., Bandopadhyay, S. and Patil, S.L., 2004, Calibration of On-line Analyzers Using Neural Networks, Mining Engineering, Vol. 56, No. 9 (Sept), pp. 99-102.
- Samanta, B., Bandopadhyay, S. and Ganguli, R., 2004, Data Segmentation and Genetic Algorithms for Sparse Data Division in Nome Placer Gold Grade Estimation Using Neural Network and Geostatistics , Exploration and Mining Geology Journal, Vol. 11, Nos. 1-4, 69-76, 2002 (2004 CIMMP).
- Ganguli, R. and Bandopadhyay, S., 2003, Neural Network Performance versus Network Architecture for Quick Stop Training, APCOM (Peer Reviewed), South Africa.
- Ganguli, R. and Bandopadhyay, S., 2002, Expert System for Equipment Selection, International Journal of Surface Mining, Reclamation and Environment, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 163-170.
- Basu, A., Ganguli, R., and Sturgul, J., 2002, Technology Implementation in Learning and Teaching (TILT), Mineral Resources Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 129-135.
- Ganguli, R., Wilson, T.E., Bandopadhyay, S., 2002, STADES: An Expert System for Marine Disposal of Mine Tailings, Mining Engineering, April, pp. 29-34.
- Ganguli, R., 2001, "A Critical Review of Analyzers, Mineral Resources Engineering", Vol. 10, No. 4 (December), pp. 435-445.
- Ganguli, R., 2001, Meeting Quality Specifications of Coal on a Per Car Basis Rather Than on a Trainload Basis, Mining Engineering, November, pp. 52-56.
- Ganguli, R., and Yingling, J. C., 2001, Algorithms to Control Coal Segregation Under Non-Stationary Conditions, Part I: Moving Window and SPC Based Updating Methods Intl. Jour. of Mineral Processing, Vol. 61, Issue 4, pp. 241-259.
- Ganguli, R., and Yingling, J. C., 2000, Algorithms to Control Coal Segregation Under Non-Stationary Conditions, Part II: Time Series Based Methods, Intl. Jour. of Mineral Processing, Vol. 61, Issue 4, pp. 261-271.
- Ganguli, R, 2000, On-line Presentations Aids in Classroom Teaching Mining Engineering, November.
Ganguli, R, 2000, Learning On-line: Miners Make the Grade in Cyberspace Mining Voice, September/October, pp. 21-22.
- Yingling, J.C., Goh, C.H., and Ganguli, R., 1999 , Analysis of the Twisting Department at Superior Cable Corporation: A Case Study, European Journal of Operational Research, May, Vol.115 Issue 1, pp. 19-35.
- Ganguli, R., Yingling, J. C., Zhang, Sottile, J. and Kumar, R., 1999, Optimal Control of Coal Segregation using On-line Quality Analyzers, Mining Engineering, April, pp. 41-47.
- US Patent Office, Patent#: 6,675,064, Jon Yingling and Rajive Ganguli: Process for the Physical Segregation of Minerals
Awards and Honors
- Flame Safety Lamp Award, 2005, State of Alabama
- Robert Peele Award, 2004, SME
- Carol Feist Outstanding Advisor Award for 2002-2003, UAF
- Nominated for International Who's Who for Professionals, 2002-2003
- Selected for Leadership Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Recognized as a Future Leader of the mining industry, SME, 2000
- Recipient of a Prize from Mineral and Metallurgical Society of America (MMSA) for the Paper "Time Series Analysis of Coal Imports and Energy Imports", 1996
- Recipient of a Prize for the Paper "Roadheaders for Coal Face Mechanization," from the Institution of Engineers (IE), India, 1991
- Winner of the All India Mining Quiz Competition, 1990