- Dean, College of Engineering & Mines
- Professor, Ph.D., P.E., Mechanical Engineering
- Phone: (907) 474-7730
- Duckering 355
Background and Research Interests
Dr. Goering's research interests include computational heat transfer and fluid mechanics, numerical modeling, energy systems, and heat transfer in cold climates. He has worked extensively with numerical simulations of heat transfer in permafrost, natural and forced convection, and phase change processes. He is currently serving as Principal Investigator on several funded projects, one of which is aimed at examining the heat transfer characteristics of a new permafrost-resistant roadbed technology. In order to refine and predict the thermal performance of the new roadway, numerical simulations were carried out using the supercomputing facilities at the Arctic Region Supercomputer Center at UAF. In addition, field studies of the new roadway design have been on-going for the past several years.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- M. S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 1984
- B. S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Washington, 1981
- Hinzman, L.D., D.J. Goering, and D.L. Kane, "A distributed thermal model for calculating soil temperature profiles and depth of thaw in permafrost regions," J. Geophysical Research, 103(D22):28,975 (1998).
- Goering, D.J., "Experimental investigation of air convection embankments for permafrost-resistant roadway design," Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Permafrost, 319, (1998).
- Goering, D.J., J.A.C. Humphrey, and R. Greif, "The dual influence of curvature and buoyancy in fully developed tube flows," Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., 40(9):2187 (1997).
- Hinzman, L.D., D.J. Goering, T.C. Kinney, and S. Li., "Numeric simulation of thermokarst formation during disturbance," In: Disturbance and recovery in Arctic Lands: An Ecological Perspective, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 191, (1997). (Refereed Book Chapter)
- Kane, D.L, L.D. Hinzman, H. Yu, and D.J. Goering, "The use of SAR satellite imagery to measure active layer moisture contents in Arctic Alaska," Nordic Hydrology, 27:25, (1996).
- Goering, D.J. and P. Kumar, "Winter-time convection in open-graded embankments," Cold Regions Science and Technology, 24(1):57, (1996).
- Goering, D.J. and J.A.C. Humphrey, "On the spatial stability of tube flows subject to body forces," Physics of Fluids A, 5(12):3107, 1993