- Associate Professor, Ph.D., Petroleum Engineering
- (907) 474-1903
- Duckering 411
Background and Research Interests
Dr. Ahmadi is a petroleum engineer interested in the area of reservoir engineering. His research activities are currently focused on two areas: shale gas/oil and CO2 EOR/Sequestration. The main focus in the shale area is to enhance the understanding of interplay between resource properties, reservoir characteristics, and well stimulation and its effects on production profiles and ultimate recovery. This is going to be a basis for developing a multi-disciplinary research to serve development of Alaska shale resources. In CO2 research, we are trying to evaluate the sequestration of CO2 by injecting it as an EOR agent into some of the Alaska oil reservoirs. The objective is to use an appropriate simulation model to properly handle 4-phase flow occurring under pressure and temperature conditions in some reservoirs.
- PETE 683 - Natural Gas Processing and Engineering
- PETE 607 - Advanced Production Engineering
- PETE 662 - Enhanced Oil Recovery
- PETE 431 - Natural Gas Engineering
- PETE 487- Senior Project Design
- PETE 476 Petroleum Reservoir Engineering (Simple Approach to derive MBE - Notes downloadable in PDF)
- Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2010
- M. Sc. in Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum University of Technology, Iran, 2003
- B.S. in Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum University of Technology, Iran, 2000
Areas of Specialization
- Conventional and Unconventional Gas Resources Development
- Supercritical CO2 EOR/Sequestration
- Enhanced Oil Recovery
- I., O. Kohshour, M. Ahmadi, and C. Hanks: "Uncertainty Assessment in Geologic Modeling and Sensitivity Analysis of Static and Dynamic Models in Umiat: A Frozen Shallow Oil Accumulation in National Petroleum Reserve of Alaska," SPE Western Regional and AAPG Pacific Section Meeting, 2013 Joint Technical Conference, Monterey, CA, UAS, 19-12 April 2013.
- Dieudonne K. Agboada, and Mohabbat Ahmadi: "Production Decline and Numerical Simulation Model Analysis of the Eagle Ford Shale Oil Play," SPE Western Regional and AAPG Pacific Section Meeting, 2013 Joint Technical Conference, Monterey, CA, UAS, 19-12 April 2013.
- Pascal Umekwe, Joanna Mongrain, Mohabbat Ahmadi, and Catherine Hanks:” Assessment of Alaska North Slope Oil Field Capacity to Sequester CO2”, Journal of Natural Resource Research, December 2012.
- Vahid Nourpour Aghbash and Mohabbat Ahmadi: "Evaluation of CO2-EOR and Sequestration in Alaska West Sak Reservoir Using Four-Phase Simulation Model," SPE Western Regional Meeting, Bakersfield, California, USA, 19.23 March 2012.
- Peter Ikewun and Mohabbat Ahmadi: "Production Optimization and Forecasting of Shale Gas Wells Using Simulation Models and Decline Curve Analysis," SPE Western Regional Meeting, Bakersfield, California, USA, 19.23 March 2012.
- Ahmadi, M., Sharma, M.M., Pope, G.A., Torres, D., McCulley, C., and Linnemeyer, H.: "Chemical Treatment to Mitigate Condensate and Water Blocking in Gas Wells in Carbonate Reservoirs," SPE Production and Operation, Volume 26, Number 1, February 2011.
- Vishal Bang, Gary A. Pope, Mukul M. Sharma, Jimmie R. Baran Jr., and Mohabbat Ahmadi: "A New Solution to Restore Productivity of Gas Wells with Condensate and Water Blocks," SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering 323-33, April 2010.
- Jamshid Roodsaz, Mohabbat Ahmadi, Vali Ahmad Sajjadian, and Saeed Abbasi: "Experimental and Simulation-Assisted Feasibility Study of Gas Injection to Increase Oil Recovery Using a Combination of Semi-VAPEX and GAGD Techniques," JICCE 26 (2), 77-84, 2007.