- Professor, Petroleum Engineering
- (907) 474-5127
- Duckering 419
Background and Research Interests
Shirish Patilis a Professor of petroleum engineering and the Director of the Petroleum Development Laboratory (PDL) at the College of Engineering and Mines. Shirish joined the University of Alaska Fairbanks in 1987. Shirish has served the University of Alaska Fairbanks, the Society of Petroleum Engineers, American Society of Drilling Engineers, the State of Alaska, and the Fairbanks community in numerous capacities:
- Petroleum engineering chair (2006-08)
- Director of PDL (2006-Present)
- UAF Faculty Senate President (2006-07)
- UA Faculty Alliance Chair (2006-07)
- SPE Faculty Advisor (1996-2004)
- AADE Faculty Advisor (2012- Present)
- SPE International Distinguished Lecturer Selection Committee, 2005-09.
- SPE Education, Training and Professionalism Program Subcommittee, 2007
- State of Alaska Representative- Interstate Oil & Gas Compact Commission- Research and Technology Committee (2006-Present)
- SPE Education and Accreditation (EAC) Committee (2004-2007)
- SPE International Membership Committee (2011-Present)
- Fairbanks North Star Borough- Public Transportation Advisory Commission Chair (2005-Present)
Shirish has over 25 year's research experience in the areas of Gas Hydrates, PVT/phase behavior, miscible/immiscible displacement, and GTL transportation studies. He has managed/co-managed several U.S. Department of Energy and other projects with international oil companies. He has been PI or Co-PI of over 20 successfully completed projects and has authored or co-authored over 75 technical papers.
- PETE 103- Survey of Energy Industries
- PETE 205- Fundamentals of drilling Practices
- PETE 487A- Petroleum Project Design
- PETE 104- Fundamentals of Petroleum
- PETE 206- Introduction to Petroleum Production
- PETE 456- Petroleum Evaluation and Economic Decisions
- PETE 487B- Petroleum Project Design
- PETE 656- Advanced Petroleum Economic Analysis
- Ph.D. Mineral Resource Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
- M.S. Engineering Management, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
- M.S. Petroleum Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, USA
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Pune, Pune, India
Areas of Specialization/Research
- Miscible/Immiscible displacement studies
- Gas hydrate phase behavior and production modeling
- PVT phase behavior
- Gas-To-Liquids transportation
- CO2 Sequestration
Honors and Awards
- 2012 SPE International Distinguished Member Award
- UAF Petroleum Engineering Outstanding Faculty Award, 2011-12, 2005-06, 2004-05, 2003-04, 2001-02, 1998-1999, 1996-97, 1995-96
- North Slope Oil Spills Analysis- Expert Panel Recognition Award- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, March 2011
- 2010 University of Alaska Fairbanks Distinguished Alumnus Award
- 2007 University of Alaska Fairbanks- Emil Usibelli Distinguished Service Award
- 2006 SPE Western North America Regional Service Award.
- 2005 Alaska Engineer of the Year- Selected by All Alaska Engineering Societies.
- Society of Petroleum Engineers- Alaska Section 2005 Engineer of the Year.
- UAF Faculty Senate President 2006-07
- Chair, University of Alaska Statewide Faculty Alliance 2006-07
- 2005 Helios Award- Green, in recognition of innovation and creativity in pursuit of performance, Alaska Gas Hydrate Project Team, from BP Exploration (Alaska) President Steve Marshall.
- 2005 Outstanding Faculty Senator of the Year- Voted by UAF Faculty Senate- May 2005.
- 2004 Helios Innovation Award, Alaska Gas Hydrate Project team, recognition from BP Exploration (Alaska) President, Steve Marshall, September 2004.
- Energy Minerals Division, American Association of Petroleum Geologists President's Certificate for Excellence in Presentation Award, April 2004.
- Received Award for "Outstanding Contributions in Training Alaskan Native Students" from Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of Interior, Washington DC. September 2003.
- Received Award for "Outstanding Contributions in Training Alaskan Native Students" from Bureau of Indian Affairs, U.S. Department of Interior, Washington DC. September 2002.
- Received the School of Mineral Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks, "Meritorious Service Award" for 1991